How to send voice messages using Microsoft Teams

Voice messages have appeared in the 70s with the voicemail technologie and throught out the years have been evolving and being adjusted to new technologies and platforms.

Voice messages are common and widely used in messaging platforms like WhatsApp but did you know that you can also use it with Microsoft Teams?

Voice messages are an exclusive feature of the Teams mobile app and are extremely handy when you are on the go, instead of typing you can simply record a voice message by pushing a button as shown in the following animation.

To use this feature do the following:

1. Push and hold the microphone icon at the bottom of the screen
  2. Release the button when you finish the message
  3. Tap the send button
Voice message Microsoft Teams

Voice messages can be heard by users using the desktop and the mobile app and they are included in the chat as shown in the following image.

Car vector created by fullvector – www.freepik.com

28 Responses to “How to send voice messages using Microsoft Teams”

1. Kat W

April 20, 2020

Thanks! I have tested out this option, and two questions came up: where are these voice recordings stored and can they be downloaded? We were looking for a potential way for staff members to submit audio recordings to use for an internal podcast. When testing this, we could not figure out how to download the recordings. Thanks for any tips you can share!

• João Ferreira

April 22, 2020

Hi Kat,

Voice recordings are store in Exchange along with the chat in a hidden folder, the location may be different depending if the message was sent to a team or in a private chat.

Team conversations are stored in the Office 365 Group Mailbox, in a hidden folder called Conversation History\Team Chat.
      Private chats are stored in the posting user’s mailbox, in a hidden folder called Conversation History\Team Chat.

The audio file is accessible through the URL if you inspect the source code of teams however I was not able yet to figure out how to get it without looking to the source code.

• João Ferreira

April 22, 2020

Hi Kat,

Note: If you want to download your audio messages from Microsoft Teams have a look to this article where you will find an updated solution to do it.

After investigating it for a while I’ve built a script to download the messages from the browser not ideal solution but it works.

1. Open Teams in the browser
      2. Press F12 to open the browser console
      3. Paste the following code in the console
        var voiceMessages = $('.cell.media').length;
        if(voiceMessages > 0){
            alert('There are '+voiceMessages+' voice messages to download')
            $.each($('.cell.media'), function( ) {
                window.open($(this).parent().attr('url'), "_blank");
            });
        }

4. The first time you will need to allow the popups
      5. Execute the script again and all the audios will be downloaded

Check the following animation to see how it works

• Kat W

April 23, 2020

Thanks so much for investigating and coming up with a script that will do this. Much appreciated!!

• Julian

October 14, 2020

Thank you João! this script really helped me out.
        appreciate!

• Kat W

October 14, 2020

This is really cool! Thank you so much for this super handy and simple option for downloading these audio files. You rock!!

• ?manofquestions?

June 11, 2020

Can you send a voice message on PC?

2. Jonathan

May 15, 2020

I am trying to voice recording feature which I have seen in WhatsApp etc. My mobile app on Android does not have it showing/available. Any ideas why that would be? I went to about this is the version I am running right now.
    1416/1.0.0.2020050805
    Calling Version 2020.10.01.1

• João Ferreira

May 15, 2020

Hi Jonathan, this only works on personal and group chats. This feature is not available for channels.

3. Jill Robinson

June 16, 2020

Is this limited to 10 seconds? and can I do this on the desktop or just mobile?

• João Ferreira

June 19, 2020

Hi Jill,

No, this is not limited to 10 seconds. The message will be recorded while you are pressing the microphone button.
      This feature unfortunately is just available on mobile.

Have a nice day 🙂

4. Aryan

August 13, 2020

How to upload audio to students in Microsoft Teams app

• João Ferreira

August 17, 2020

Hi Aryan,

The option for voice messages is only available with the mobile app, if you want to upload audio from your computer first you need to record it and then attach the audio file to Teams.

Hope this helps 🙂

5. Venkatraman

September 8, 2020

Please put voice option in laptop. Why always in mobile. Please answer this question

6. Bruno

September 9, 2020

I am trying to record audios in Teams thru my phone but is impossible. I am in a personal chat but I cant. Dont know what to check to correct this.

Everything is allowed to my app, microphone, camera, location, everything.

• João Ferreira

September 23, 2020

Hi Bruno,

Unfortunately I’m not able to reproduce this behaviour.
      Does the other user ears you if you do a call instead?

Have a nice day 🙂

7. Kiki

October 20, 2020

Please, how to send voice message on teams while using laptop

• João Ferreira

October 24, 2020

Hi Kiki,

It’s not possible to do it using the laptop as this feature is only available with the mobile clients

Have a nice day 🙂

8. Claudia

October 25, 2020

Hi.
    When sending a voice message : how long can I talk please ?
    3 minutes ? 5 minutes ?

I want to read some book excerpts to a blind friend of mine…
    (I have Teams on laptop and cellphone)
    Thanks!
    Claudia

• João Ferreira

October 25, 2020

Hi Claudia,

Each audio message on Microsoft Teams can have 15 minutes.

Have a nice day

9. Ahmad Houballah

November 17, 2020

hi how I can record a voice message in microsoft team in pc

• João Ferreira

November 17, 2020

Hello,

Not possible, this feature is only available in mobile.

• Ahmad Houballah

November 19, 2020

ok thats bad I download it since I think it has a voice mail

10. Ahmad Houballah

November 26, 2020

hi how I can make an voicemail when some one call me and im busy