How to quote a message in Microsoft Teams

Quote a message is a handy feature when you want to reply to a specific message in 1:1 chats or when you want to quote someone on your replies in group chats.

This feature is available by default on several chat applications like WhatsApp, however in Microsoft Teams it is not natively integrated which doesn’t mean you’re are not able to it.

Quote using a keyboard shortcut

1. Copy the message
  2. On your keyboard press “Shift” + “>”
  3. Paste the original message and then type your own message

Quote using the text box

As an alternative if you forget the keyboard shortcut you can do it from the text box doing the follow:

1. Copy the message
  2. Click on Format located in the text box
  3. On the toolbar click on Quote
  4. Paste the original message
  5. Press Enter twice and then type your own message

This is a workaround but eventually this will be introduced in the product as a native feature in the upcoming versions.

How to quote a message on mobile

Quote a message on the Microsoft Teams mobile apps is a much easier process, the only thing you have to do is swipe the message to right and it will be added as a quote to the new message as shown in the following animation.

Share location using Microsoft Teams

This tutorial is also available in a video format.

25 Responses to “How to quote a message in Microsoft Teams”

1. Steve

March 24, 2020

Maybe at to the article how to do it in the Teams mobile app 🙂 Super simple, just swipe right on a message.
    Cheers

• João Ferreira

March 24, 2020

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip, I’ll add it to the article.

Have a nice dau

2. Eugene

April 4, 2020

3. Zubin

April 15, 2020

My issue is when you manually quote something with >_space_ it creates the quote grey bar to begin typing the quote, but I cannot go below, like close the Quote so I can resume typing.
    My workaround is to:
    Text here First[Shift+Enter]
    [Shift+Enter]
    Text here second

Then return to the gap I made and apply the > quote. So that I can click on the “second” text afterwards to resume typing my initial message.
    This is beginning to be annoying

• João Ferreira

April 17, 2020

Hi Zubin,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and your workaround, I’m sure someone else will have the same issue.

Have a nice day 🙂

• Guillermo

April 21, 2020

You need to press “enter” twice and then you will be able to type your reply.

• Evanson

June 4, 2020

very helpful

4. Evan Camilleri

May 25, 2020

Still they need to do this simpler! Select the … and click reply would have been fine!

• João Ferreira

May 25, 2020

Tottaly agree with you Evan

• Adrian Rogobete

June 17, 2020

I mean, seriously Microsoft? You want to replace Skype with Teams and you cannot even copy the basic features?!?! Shame

• João Ferreira

June 19, 2020

Adrian,

I understand your frustration but I’m sure this feature is coming sooner or later.

5. Mark

May 27, 2020

What a faf i can’t believe Microsoft are so lax that they haven’t added a simple Reply button, you can do it in the mobile app. this is why so many people are using whatsapp. Ive tried to get clients to use Teams and i have to say ive had 30% success rate the word “clunky” an unreliable are bandies around a lot

• João Ferreira

May 27, 2020

Hi Mark,

I understand your frustration but Teams is much more than just a chat application.
      Sharing private data through Whatsapp just for convenience can put a lot of things at risk.
      I’m sure the quote will come to Teams while Microsoft continues to work on it to make it even better than what it is now.

Have a nice day 🙂

• João Ferreira

May 27, 2020

Hi Mark,

Have a nice day 🙂

6. ABUSAIF

June 3, 2020

Is there a way to Reply in the private chat? PC version, because in the phone version it is very simple just scrolling it appears the Reply option

• João Ferreira

June 19, 2020

I’m not sure if I understood your question but to reply to a message you can find the reply option under each message thread.
      The only place where you will not see in is in the 1:1 chats where replies are made in the context of the conversation.
      If this did not answer to your question please clarify.

Have a nice day 🙂

7. Venkat

June 3, 2020

Thanks for the tip! I knew I could do this on the mobile app but was struggling with the desktop version. This si a good workaround until MS decides to put a simple reply button per message.

8. Ese Kasari

June 19, 2020

Realy??? There are several pointless face emojis in the option menu but not a reply button?
    I want to meet the genius developers behind this app. This is supposed to be used as collaboration platform.

• João Ferreira

July 23, 2020

Hi Ese,

I understand your frustration and I’m sure sooner or later this feature will come.

Have a nice day 🙂

9. J T

July 22, 2020

Just a suggestion Joao… Perhaps in your article above, adding the instruction ‘press enter twice after pasting the quote’ will help many with how to close the quote before typing one’s msg?

Took some time for me to figure out that one. Thank you for sharing!

• João Ferreira

July 23, 2020

Hi JT,

Thank you for suggestion, will include it in the article.

Have a nice day 🙂