How to record a meeting on Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams allows you to record the meetings you have in the platform either to review it later or to share it with someone else who couldn’t attend.

In this article you will learn how to record a meeting on Microsoft Teams in 2 simple steps and how to manage and share the recordings with other members of the organization.

1. Once in a meeting click on the dots on the meting bar to open the more options menu
  2. On the menu click on Start recording

Once the recoding starts you and all the other participants will see a message at the top of the window informing that the meeting is being recorded and red dot is also added to the meeting bar.

Note: Meeting recordings are not included in the Microsoft Teams free plan.

How to manage meeting video record

Starting a recording is fairly easy but accessing the video and sharing it is tricky as all meeting recordings are automatically saved on Microsoft Stream, the intelligent Microsoft video platform.

To access the meeting recordings you can use Microsoft Teams or Microsoft Stream and each one will serve different purposes.

On Microsoft Teams the recording becomes available for all the participants on the meeting context as the image below illustrates.

To view the video you just need to click on the card which will open a popup with the video player, however this will only work for users that belong to the organization.

If you noticed the image has the context menu open, from it you can share the video with everyone in your organization, get a link for it or open it on Microsoft Stream.

If your meeting has included guest users they will be able to see that the recording is available but unfortunately they will not be able to play the video. This happens because Microsoft Stream does not support external users to the organization.

To share the video with the guests you need to first download it from Stream and then send it to users. To download a video do the following:

1. Open Microsoft Stream – https://web.microsoftstream.com/
  2. On the menu click on My Content and then Meetings
  3. Look for the video you want to download and click on the
  4. Click on Download and you will get the mp4 video file

With the recording feature you don’t need to do meeting briefings to the colleges that were not able to attend, they will be able to watch it like if they were there whenever they have time to do it.

36 Responses to “How to record a meeting on Microsoft Teams”

1. HERMINE

April 2, 2020

Your articles are great. Keep them up, please.
    Question – If guests cannot access Stream for viewing, how do you recommend we share the video. I have no budget for purchasing storage that supports Streaming. The file size is often too large for email attachment.

April 2, 2020

Hi Hermine,

Thanks for your kind words.
      To share a video with a guest user I recommend you to do the following.

1. Download the mp4 video from Microsoft Stream
      2. Go to the team where you have the guest users
      3. Upload the file to the document library of the team

This way the guest users will be able to get access to the video and you don’t have to purchase extra storage or licenses.

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

• Trevor

April 8, 2020

Hi João,

Once you have downloaded the mp4, can this be shared in other ways e.g. email, save to a thumb drive?

April 8, 2020

Hi Trevor, yes it can. By email it probably not work because the video files are usually very big.

2. Anne

April 24, 2020

Hi João,
    Thanks for the above article.
    I had a situation where after the recording there was a message “recording failed to upload” and I cannot open the file. Is there something that I failed to do?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

April 28, 2020

Hi Anne,

Recordings on Microsoft Teams are stored on Microsoft Stream, I’m not sure what might have been the cause for the error message but if you go to Stream you may find the original video under recordings.
      This article explain how to download the video Download video

Hope it helps 🙂

3. Michelle

May 29, 2020

Question – when I did a recording with three people one of us is in a larger frame than the other two people. How does Teams determine who the gets the larger frame spot? The sizing stays consistent during the whole video. Is it dictated by who joined the meeting first? Is there any way to manipulate it?

Thanks!

May 29, 2020

It might be different for each person in the call. It use to be the last person who spoke but now with the 3×3 layout I don’t know if it has changed.

4. Unknown

June 16, 2020

I am a student with an id given by my school. Our teachers record the class which eventually gets posted in meeting chat so for how many days can we access the recording?

June 19, 2020

Hi,

The recording will be available to you until someone deletes it from Microsoft Stream.

Have a nice day 😉

• Unknown

June 19, 2020

So we will have access to it until the teacher removes it. But whenever I try to watch the recording the screen always comes blank all the screen sharing is not recorded. Can you tell me why is this happening?

June 19, 2020

Have you tried to download the video to see if the same thing happens?
          If you are not able to download the video, go to Microsoft Stream and play it from there.
          The video should be available under meetings.

To access Microsoft Stream you can use this url, https://web.microsoftstream.com/ and then authenticate with your scholl account.

If the issue persists most likely there was an issue with the recording.

5. Jonessa

June 19, 2020

Hello Joao, can guest record meetings in Teams? I organized the meeting and when I clicked on the record meeting tab, yet it couldn’t be recorded.

June 19, 2020

Hi Joanessa,

Guests or federated users can’t record meetings or calls.

Have a nice day 🙂

6. Vinai

June 20, 2020

Hello Joao,

I need to use Teams for a webinar but unable to do it as I don’t find the create webinar option.

I tried to follow the steps available ol but nothing worked..

Can I schedule a a normal Teams call and share the link to students if yes how many are allowed in one call??

How can I record the session as I don’t find the recording option anywhere?

June 20, 2020

Hi Vinai, you can do it by scheduling a metting on Teams, the option is available in the calendar in the vertical menu. Mettings can host up to 250 attendees and once on the meeting you will have the option to record it. Hope this helps

7. Alice

June 21, 2020

Hi Joao,
    I’d like to organize and record Teams meeting with 10 people, my question is may I record their screen too?
    I mean, can I only see their faces (screen record) or I can have access to their PC screen’s content also? Or do I need that each person activate the function of screen sharing from their PC to do so?
    Thank you very much.

June 21, 2020

Hi Alice,

In order to record others screens you must make them presenters in the meeting. Once they are presenters they will be able to share their screens (the user must start the screen sharing), but notice that only one screen can be shared at a time. Everything shared during the meeting will be captured into the recording.

Hope this helps, have a nice day

8. Unknown

June 22, 2020

Someone else(a student) has made me an attendee so is there a way to remove being an attendee?

• Unknown

June 22, 2020

Or make that student an attendee as well?

9. Michele

June 24, 2020

Hi Joao,

Your explanations are spot on and easy to follow- thank-you for that! My questions is: can we record in teams without starting a meeting? I have a bunch of training videos i need to make and it would be easy enough to be able to do so in teams if that is available, but i don’t see the record button unless i am in a meeting.

thanks!

June 24, 2020

Hi Michele,

You will need to do it from a meeting that is the only place where the record option is available, however since last month you can do the recording from Microsoft Stream and then download it and share it on Teams. The only down side is that each video can only have 15 minutes.

10. Alison

July 2, 2020

Hi!
    If I start a meeting, then after 5 minutes, start recording, will it only capture the recording from that point, or the whole meeting content?

Many thanks!

July 2, 2020

Hi Alison,

The recording will only start when you press the record button, everything prior to it will not be captured. Same thing when you stop the recording, after stopping it the meeting can continue without being recorded.

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

11. Polly

July 3, 2020

I am desperately trying to work out how to record – I don’t have that option on the ‘…’ button? Help anyone? Please!

July 23, 2020

Hi Polly,

If you are not using the free version of Microsoft Teams and you don’t have the recording option it could have been disabled by the Administrator.
      I’m sharing an image of the setting in the Teams admin policy and the link to the official documentation.

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

12. Natalie

July 8, 2020

Hello, I have Microsoft Teams downloaded on my home laptop. I started a call with a friend and clicked on the three dots option but there no ‘record’ option listed.

I also tried to ‘schedule a meeting’ from the side calendar option but it only allows me to select a title and time.

I also tried to do a ‘meet now’ and it didn’t work either.

Do you know what could be preventing me from doing it?

July 23, 2020

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

13. Laila

July 18, 2020

Hi Joao! I upgraded my microsoft package to be able to access the recording option, however it is still not showing up!

I’ve uninstalled and logged out multiple times but still not showing. Unsure what else to do!

Any help would be appreciated

July 23, 2020

Hi Laila,

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

14. Murat SARGIN

July 23, 2020

Hi João!
    I have a problem with recording. It did not started when I click “Start recording”, or it stoped in a while without any notification. I continued the meeting assuming that recording was going on. When we finished the meeting, we saw that recording is only tiny part of it. During meeting, we only realize that recording sign is not a red dot but a white dot, with notification sentence like “recording is pending” or something. What is the fault?
    Thanks.

July 23, 2020

Hi Murat,

Most likely was a service fault, recordings on Microsoft Teams are made in the cloud.
      Is not common to have issues with it but sometimes it happens. 🙁

Have a nice day 🙂

15. Diego

July 24, 2020

Hi,

We use Teams for meetings with the team and broadcast messages from management. We record those messages, but everytime we play them back , the recording shows a mosaic of all the participants instead of just showing the person speaking. This is not ideal as the playback doesnt covey the same message as when originally recorded (that is with the person speaking viewed in the whole screen) Is there any way to record a meeting with multiple participants (all mutted off) so the playback shows only the person talking, as when it was recorded, intead of showing the mosaic of participants?

Thank you!

July 24, 2020

Hi Diego,

Unfortunately that is how it works it will not take in consideration if you pin the video of a person or not.
      A workaround for this problem would be opening the camera app on the computer and then share the screen with the camera app to the audience, not optimal but this way the screen will be always recorded in full screen and the tiles will be at the bottom of the screen.
      Another way of doing it is pre-recording it with stream and them during the call you will share your screen and the computer audio with all the attendees, you can even record it if you want to capture the reactions in the little camera squares under the video.

Let me know if this works for you or if you find any other workaround for the problem, I’m thinking about writing an article about this limitation.

Have a nice day 🙂

16. Pia

July 24, 2020

Hi João,

I own a Teams account that is part of a bigger corporation. I wonder why it is not possible for me to Record a Meeting (the button is disabled) and how I could enable it for future meetings. My final goal is to record a meeting with captions, so that I can save the transcript after the meeting.

Thanks!!
    Pia

July 24, 2020

Hi Pia,

Most likely your user on Microsoft Teams is being affected by a policy that disables the cloud recoding.

To get access to it you need to ask the administrator to change the policy for you.

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂