How to enable and add pronouns to Microsoft Teams profile card
In today’s society, the importance of inclusivity and diversity in the workplace cannot be overstated. Companies worldwide are recognizing the need to create an environment that supports all employees, regardless of their gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.
Microsoft, has long been committed to promoting inclusivity and has taken another significant step in this direction with pronouns being added to the employee profile cards, allowing them to express who they are and helping others address them correctly.
This new feature, is optional and can be enabled by IT administrators and in this blog post, I’m explaining how to enable it and use it in the profile card.
How to enable pronouns on Microsoft Teams profile cards
The default setting for pronouns is OFF but as an Administrator you will be able to enable them, here is how:
- As a global administrator, access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and login – https://admin.microsoft.com/
- In the left menu click on Settings and then Org Settings
- Click in the Security & Privacy tab and from the list of options click in Pronouns
- Check the box Turn on and allow pronouns
- Click Save, getting the pronoun option enabled can take up to 7 hours
How to configure pronouns in the Microsoft Teams profile cars
When you include your pronouns in Microsoft 365, they become visible to anyone with an account at your workplace or educational institution, as well as guest accounts.
To configure your pronouns do the following:
- Access your profile card in Teams, click on your profile picture in any post you have made in a channel will show your profile card
- Click in the + Pronouns below your name
- In the pop-up type your pronouns or select one of the available suggestions
- Click Save, changes are propagated immediately to all the users in the organization. In the following image you can see how it looks like once applied to your card