How to create a webinar registration page using Microsoft Teams
Hosting webinars in Microsoft Teams was possible since the initial release of the product using regular meetings or live events, however both options always felt short with some of the features being available in one type of meetings and not in the other and essential features like the registration page not being available at all.
With the new Webinar meeting type in Microsoft Teams you no longer need to manually handle the registrations for the online events with the registration page and the registration report being generated automatically.
How to setup a webinar in Microsoft Teams
If you are already familiar with the scheduling of meetings and live events in Microsoft Teams the webinar creation process will be familiar to you as is works the same way.
- Start by opening the calendar application in the Microsoft Teams application
- Once in the calendar click in the arrow located in the New meeting button
- From the drop down select Webinar
- Fill the form with the meeting details
- In the require registration option select according to your needs
- For people in your org – The registration form will be only available to users from your organization
- For everyone – To make a public webinar and to get the registration page available to everyone
- To create the registration page click in the link View registration form as shown in the following image
- In the registration page you will have the possibility to:
- Upload a banner image
- Define the details for the event (you will have to repeat the information already added in the event definition)
Bonus tip: To avoid filling the event details twice and to avoid errors you must do the following:
Send the invitation to the presenter first, then open up the appointment and create the registration form. This way the registration form will take the date/time from the webinar and you do not have to type it twice, with the chance of mistakes.
- Include the presenter name and biography
- Create a registration form with the possibility to add custom questions
- Once created click on View in browser to preview how other users will see the form
- Click on copy link to get the public link to the registration form
- In the calendar save the meeting details
Microsoft Teams webinars for administrators
Now that you have the link for the event you should include it in all your communications to promote the webinar, keep in mind that if the event is not public users outside of your tenant will not be able to open the registration page.
Each registered user will receive an automatic email with the details for the webinar along with an ics file to add it to the calendar.
How to get access to the webinar registration and attendees reports
After the creation of the event as an organizer you will be able to access to the list of registered participants by doing the following:
- On Microsoft Teams open the calendar
- Locate the webinar in the calendar and open it
- Click in the registration button to get the report
The report will be downloaded in a CSV format and you will be able to open it using Excel and get access to all the information included by the user in the form.
Later this year as announced during Ignite 2021 you will be able to access the attendees and participants reports directly from the meeting details as illustrated in the following picture, at the moment of writing this feature is not yet available.